Font Icons are quite popular and useful these days. There are various benefits of using these for our website content. Let us take a look at a few benefits that are worth giving attention to.
- Flexibility: The text displayed on the web page is optimized. Which makes it easy to apply CSS properties to your icons similar to do for text.
- Scalability: The Display size of a font icon can be changed like you change the size of the text on a web page.
- Vector Independent: Font icons are vector and resolution independent. All the icons are crisp and sharp on all kinds of displays with different resolutions. They look good in mobile as well as on the desktop.
- Fast: When you have icons as a part of your fonts, you can load them with one HTTP request.
- Accessibility: When done right, font icons are 100% accessible and compatible with screen readers.
- Can be used Locally: By adding custom built fonts to your local system, you can use them in various different design and editing applications. Assigning ligatures to your glyphs would make using them even easier.
Traditionally, the creation of font icons is a time consuming and difficult task for non-designers. But, thankfully now, it’s easy by using online tools such as IcoMoon. This tool allows you to design your own font by either ‘cherry-picking’ pre-built icons from public libraries, or by uploading and compiling SVG files you have prepared.
IcoMoon is an icon solution, providing three main services: Vector Icon Packs, The IcoMoon App, and hosting icons as SVGs or fonts. Using the IcoMoon App, you can build your own custom fonts that only contain the icons that you need.
The important features of IcoMoons are:
- Build Custom Fonts: Using the IcoMoon App, you can create your own custom fonts that only contain the icons that you might need.
- Pixel Perfect Results: The IcoMoon app takes grid sizes of icons into account and generates pixel-perfect results. With a proper alignment. The font size set will display perfectly to the front end.
- Free Icons, Free App: The IcoMoon app is free. You don’t need to pay anything or give back any credit for using it. IcoMoon’s Library contains so many high-quality icon sets. All of these icons are designed on a grid and they are optimized to be used with the IcoMoon app. Add any site you wish to easily browse and search its icons.
- Iconography Tool: The IcoMoon app is an advanced iconography tool. It lets you sort your icons, manage your icon collections, or make your icons searchable by adding tags to them. In addition to fonts, you can generate PNGs, SVGs and CSS sprites of any size and color you wish.
- Import Your Own Vectors: In the IcoMoon app, you can import your own vectors (SVG images or SVG fonts). Importing icons happens locally, in your browser. Your vectors won’t get uploaded to our servers when you import them. Some basic editing options such as moving, mirroring and rotating are available too.
- Works Offline: Once loaded in your browser, the IcoMoon app works offline. When you import an icon or generate a font, everything happens locally, in your own browser. Your icons/fonts won’t be uploaded to our servers. You can even load the IcoMoon app when you have no connection if you install it from the Chrome Web Store.
Seeing the benefits that Font Icons hold, we all will want to have a few on our web page too! Furthermore, the features of IcoMoon show that it’s among the best tools to be used. Why not give it a try!